After finishing some studying that occupied all my time, I finally opened the packages of ammo I bought at Wal-Mart. I've never before bought ammo from Wal-Mart, nor have I bought these specific "value packs", so I'm totally unfamiliar with them. I made the following observations:
Winchester White Box 9mm (USA9MMVP):
* Loose-packed ammo. (Big plus, I hate wasting stryofoam for something as trivial as holding cartridges. I dump them all into ammo cans anyway, so not having styrofoam or plastic is a plus for me. Less waste, less hassle in the dumping process.)
* Remarkably shiny and clean ammunition. Other WWB stuff I've bought in stryofoam-packed boxes of 50 has been "foggy". The brass and bullets just had a dark haze to them, not really tarnish, but I can't explain it better. This stuff is bright and shiny.
* Headstamps and primers look good. This certainly isn't "seconds" off the line. I'll see how well it performs soon enough.
Remington Golden Bullet Hollowpoint .22LRs
(Personally, I prefer the solid, 40gr bullets, but they only had 36gr HPs.)
* Again, loosepacked. I have no fingernails, so picking the cartridges out one-by-one from the plastic trays in CCI and Federal boxes is annoying. I usually slide the tray out of the box enough to expose 10 cartridges, then dump those ten into my hand. Having them loose-packed in the 550-round pack is very nice.
* The cartridges are very consistent compared to CCI Blazer and Federal American Eagle bulk-packs. Federal AE hollowpoints are off-center, vary per round, and the markings on the bullets just seem a bit "rough". The Remington ones are smooth, with sharp markings, consistent and centered hollows, etc. My previous experience with 200 rounds of the 40gr solid Rems was very satisfactory -- 200 rounds, no jams, no duds, and very good accuracy (about 1.5 MOA with a modified 10/22 on a bipod) at 100 yards. Much better than the Federal, which is a bit less accurate, and gives me frequent FTEs and the occasional FTF.
I think I'm going back to Wal-Mart this weekend with my friend...and I'm going to buy them out of WWB 9mm and Remington .22LR. Now, if only they had cheap .30-06, .308, and .223...